Monday, April 13, 2009

Tough, but good weekend.

Wednesday & Thursday, April 8th & 9th - OFF days. For one reason or another, I took two days off. It was nice. I miss going home, after work, relaxing, doing laundry, hanging out with the cats, and just not having to be somewhere doing something!



Friday, April 10th - I had the day off and was planning on doing the 56 mile CdA bike course on the Computrainer with Shawnda at 1pm. I stayed up late on Thursday watching poker shows, Oprah's, and reality shows. I was actually bored for awhile. I slept in, and that was great. Did some more things around the house, and packed my stuff to head to Adrian's. My bike was there. Mo called at noon, and accidentally overbooked me, so Sabrina and I cancelled. Instead, I met Sabrina and Amber at Barton Springs for a swim. Swim #2 in my wetsuit, and I'm shocked.



We swam one mile - 34:19. I argued with Sabrina that we still had one more lap to go, but she argued back enough to make me look at my watch. 8 laps, starting the 9th, she was right. We swam a mile. HOLY CRAP! I've never in my life swam that fast before. We took about a 5 minute break, then decided to do a 2nd mile. 34:29. Thank you new wetsuit :)



Saturday, April 11th - 75 mile bike ride. Met with T3, and pushed pushed pushed. I can't ever hang on or catch up to the groups that initially pass me, because it takes me some time to warm up and get into my rhythm. Once we got to Arboretum, Blythe passed me and I latched on. I hung on for dear life and was able to draft off her down Jollyville, until we got to Parmer. I was pretty tired. Once we turned onto Parmer, I tried to latch onto Katy and Jane, but they slowly crept away and I got caught at a light. Damn light! I think pushing myself to draft off the faster people will help me, and yesterday proved to be right. I rode with Sabrina till about 7-8 miles before the turnaround and she turned early and I was alone for the rest of the ride. Steve caught me after having mechancial problems and I tried to draft off him for about 5 minutes, but he was just too fast. I made it back to Amherst to turn on Duval and I was spent. Legs had it by then, and it was just survival getting back to my car. When I got to 360, I checked my average. 14.5 :) Highest average since training started. All of that pushing when I was attempting to draft off the faster people helped. My average dropped to 14.1 just climbing 360, but I didn't care. I was happy FINALLY be in the 14's!!!



Last time we did this ride, it took me 6.5 hours. Saturday, it took me 5:10 :) YAY!!! Call me crazy, but I'm looking forward to next weekend's 90 miler with 1 hour brick.



Sunday, April 12th - EASTER. I slept in. It was nice. I woke up with Adrian at 7am, he got up and got moving around and I went back to sleep till 10:30am. Bed all to myself. Boyfriend and all three dogs left me alone. I got on the forum and crashed the girls run at noon. My legs were TIRED from pushing on Saturday, but I managed to hang with them for 14 miles. The last 2 miles were literally a crawl. Good crawl. No more negativity, this is nothing but positive from here on out. I couldn't keep up, so I decided to walk it out. At first, I stopped my Garmin, but then realized, I needed to practice my walking speed. I couldn't walk faster than a 20 min mile. Yes, a 20 min mile. I was toast. Good lesson learned today. I assumed that during the Ironman I'd walk 16:00 min miles, no problem. Today I learned a 16:00 mile when you're plum tired, is hard to do. I need to work on my walking speed :) A big shout out goes to Rhonda, Katy and Vegas for helping me get through the 16 miles. I couldn't and wouldn't have done it without ya'll. I'm happy to have made these awesome friends!!!



Another side note, is that I think stopping for me is a bad thing. I think I need to run as long as I can without stopping before resorting to walking. Once I walk, it makes it too hard to resume the running. This is another art that I haven't conquered.



This week, I'm going to stick to my workouts like clockwork if I can help it. I'm exhausted today. Everything is still sore, despite my ice bath on Sunday, but I'm going to force myself to run at least 3 miles after work before swim class.



I CAN DO THIS :)

4 comments:

Amy said...

My plan is always to run until I can't run anymore. Both times, aside from walking through water stops, I never got to the point where I couldn't run anymore. Don't assume you'll get there, just plan to deal with it if you do.

You're very much like I am.. bike is your weak point, run is your strong point. So hopefully you'll have as great a run as I did at Lake Placid. Hopefully you'll have an even better run! Just enjoy yourself out there, and let your body do what it already knows how to do.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog this week. The thing that I liked about it was all the progress that you wrote about. You are doing great!! It is fun to watch you as you advance yourself as an athlete. Wonderful story! Not that it matters what I think but, yes, you can do this! Keep up the magnificent work!

plain-jane said...

You're right -- trying to hang on to faster folks pushes you to get faster (even if you're drafting). Pretty soon, the effort will be less as your body adapts. Good job out there Saturday & Sunday!

Unknown said...

I'm soooo PROUD of you!!!

Way to go FOOL!!!