Friday, May 1, 2009

2 out of 3

Tonight was a big night :) I went to Barton Springs and went into the swim on a mission. Last Friday, I heard the script was to swim 4000 meters. It just sounded ridiculous hearing it last weekend. The thought of swimming FARTHER than 2.4 miles seemed insane. I took Tuesday off and ended up taking Thursday off too, because of work, and just laziness.

I got to Barton Springs, and opted to swim without a wetsuit. For 1, I didn't have it with me, and 2, I wanted to see if I could do it without. Before I got into the water, I made it a point to commit to swimming 10 laps without stopping. I warmed up pretty fast and got into a rhythm. Around the 6th, 7th, and 8th laps, I was getting tired, but still trucking along. I noticed my times were slowing and was ok with it, until a girl not wearing a wetsuit passed me! I tried to kick it into gear and draft off her, but she was overall faster. I reminded myself I was 8 laps into a swim and for all I knew she had just started fresh. I later realized that kicking a little harder didn't take that much energy and it was ok to keep the pace up.

Here are my splits :)
  1. 4:18
  2. 4:21
  3. 4:31
  4. 4:32
  5. 4:39
  6. 4:29
  7. 4:35
  8. 4:33
  9. 4:51
  10. 4:43
  11. 4:48
  12. 4:37
  13. 4:46
  14. 4:39
  15. 4:53
  16. 4:30
  17. 4:40
  18. 4:29
  19. 4:39
  20. 4:27

Total time: 1:32:09

I'm figuring with the wetsuit, it will make me faster. The fact that I swam a tad bit OVER the 2.4 will bank me some time, but I know the congestion will take away. So if I can swim the 2.4 in 1:30, I'd be ecstatic!! This would buy me 50 additional minutes that I much need on that damn bike.

I think if I keep with my swim workouts, and keep with my long swims, I'm 100% sure I've got it in me to do the swim.

If and when I make it to the run, I'm 100% positive I've got the marathon in the bag. I don't know my time, and I've got high expectations to run a decent marathon, but even if I have to walk the whole damn thing, I know I can do it.

Now if I could just get the confidence on the bike, I'd be golden. Still have a few more weeks to build. Looking forward to a down weekend :) 75 miles and 9 miles running, piece of cake :)

1 comment:

etg said...

Great work, Priscilla! You are right...stay focused for another month or so...and then imagine how awesome June 21 is going to feel. You've come so far...now bring it home in this last stretch.