Monday, March 30, 2009

I ain't doin' this shit again :)

I say that with a smile, but in all honesty, I can't do this again. Ironman training that is. I think I bit off more than I could chew, but am trying my darnest to stick with it and gut it out. I'm enjoying myself, and know I'll be stronger later for it, but this is just mentally grueling!!! I'll repeat myself... I AIN'T DOIN' THIS SHIT AGAIN!!! :) Yes, I say that with a smile :)

Just a quick update...

I had big hopes for this weekend. It was to be my first 100 mile ride. I set out, despite all the changing of plans from most T3'ers to go to Salado and do the ride. I woke up, bundled up, and got out there. Started at 8am with everyone, and things were difficult but good. I came across some mental demons that told me the wind was too much and I needed to turn around, but didn't. I finally found my happy place. I was barely moving, and at some points, I thought the wind was literally going to push me right over, but kept chugging along. I passed all the rest stops, until I came to the one at about mile 45. I stopped to re-fill my bottles, take a pee break, talk to some fellow T3'ers. That was the best part. I wasn't THAT slow that I could still see T3'ers in front of me and catch them at the rest stops, so I was delighted. From the start, I decided not to set my Garmin on Avg Pace, because I knew it would just torment me. I started back out on the course with the intention of not stopping till I finished.

About 2 minutes into it, all I heard was a loud, clank, clunk, clankity. Scared me, immediately came to a stop and looked around. The guy behind me (yes, I said behind, which is a rarity) said my bottle cages fell off. Both bolts had completely fallen off and there I was with two FULL tall J&A bottles, the entire rear hydration system, and pockets too full to stuff anything. I decided to call it a day. Called a friend, who called the fire station and they picked me up. 47 miles :(

I attempted to do it again on Sunday, but my legs were tired from fighting the wind and mentally I just wasn't in the place I needed to be. I got in 58, thanks to Sabrina and Amber and called it a day. I was going to go swim or run, but just couldn't muster up the energy. It saddens me that I can't follow in my teammates footsteps, cause 99% of them all got in their first 100 miler, but I'll wait till next time. Good weekend. I was pooped. I am pooped.

HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to all the T3'er's that got the 100 miles in AND the 20 mile run. You fools inspire me to keep it going :)

I'm still really looking forward to Galveston and the mini-vacation Adrian and I are going to make out of it. We're taking the motorhome with all the boys and the Jeep. I took off Friday and Monday from work to relax. It should be fun!! Adrian's first half Ironman and my 2nd. Looking forward to a great race and a relaxing weekend with the boyfriend and dogs :) This will be Riley's first trip in the motorhome :)

7 comments:

plain-jane said...

Hey Priscilla - at least you tried. Twice at that. I got tired of the bike on Sunday and was going to quit at 50. I only did extra because my friend showed up.

You definitely have the spirit/determination to become an Ironman. I wish I had some of that right now.

erin said...

Jane & I were talking about you during our run - about how awesome you are and what a great attitude you have. I am so impressed with you. :)

Unknown said...

That was the toughest bike ride I have ever done. It was hard just to start. I thought everyone would change their mind and we would all end up heading back to Austin for a run. No way,, everyone just got down to doing the ride. Good job on hanging in there. I hope that we do not have to do that "shit" again. Can you imagine how great we will be when the conditions get better? Keep it up. You are doing great!

md said...

Pricilla,
it is not about covering that illusive distance. I think that these type of training days, where you are enduring so many mental hurdles, are what IM training is all about.
imagine if all your training days were easy? and you showed up to IM and everything went wrong? you are going to do so well at IM because you know how to handle things when the day throws you a curve ball. all this experience is making you so strong my dear. We all look up to you. YOU, the one who pushes and pushes. that is more inspiring than anyone who has it easy.
when you show up to CdA, you will be so mentally and psychally prepared for whatever that day brings.
I am so proud of you!!!!!!

let's have fun at Lonestar! I'll be right there on the course next to you.

kirsten said...

I think Maggie says it perfectly. The fact that you actually got on your bike on Sunday and tried again shows an amazing amount of spunk. Have a great time in Galveston...goal: HAVE FUN!! Nothing other than that matters.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Let's just go to Galveston and create our pwn T3 Hurricane!! Keep smiling ;-) (cuz you'll probably do this shit again when you realize the empowering feeling of crossing the finish line)

Anonymous said...

i bet you will do this shit again...after your awesome time yesterday :)just sayin...