Monday, March 2, 2009

Full Time Job + Ironman Training = Near Impossible!

Lately, I've been feeling like there's not enough time in the day to get what I need done. I'm envious of my fellow T3 teammates that I see doing workouts during business hours. I wish I had a more lenient job that allowed for 80 mile bike rides on Friday, or 2 hour lunches to do swim workouts, but I don't, and I do love the job that I have.

Work is crazy busy and I couldn't have picked a more busy time to start this training, but it is what it is and I need to get it done. Blogging has taken a back seat, Facebook only gets my attention on my iPhone, and Myspace, what's that? Lately, I only have enough time to workout, work, or sleep. There were a few nights last week where I was too tired to take a shower. I just laid down, passed out and woke up to shower, now that's just gross. Weekends are filled with attempting to spend time with Adrian, and thankfully he understands what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm grateful for that.

Saturday: I ran 19 miles, it was great. My speed isn't what it was in California, but I feel like I have my legs back after running the Austin Marathon. I got to run with Lori and Dee, and that's always a treat!! Went home, showered, went on a walk with Adrian and the boys, then we did dinner and a movie... at home in our pj's :)

Sunday: I did the longest bike ride of my life, so far :) 80 miles. I'm happy with getting in the distance, but not happy with my speed. I only averaged 12.4 mph according to my Garmin. It does include the stopping at multiple red lights, but I was pushing hard, and really thought it should have been better. I still have a TON of work to do, at the rate I did on Sunday, I won't make the bike cutoff in CdA. I still have 3.5 months to go, so I'm looking forward to the challenge :) I know I can do this!!!

Sacrifices: Even though I got accepted into the cycling study, I'm withdrawling myself. Not enough time, and I need to make work my priority right now. The more I get caught up and ahead, the more I can focus on training.

2 comments:

md said...

First, you are doing a great job with your training! congrats on your 80 miler.

work is a four letter word that gets in the way of our training. I hope your coworkers are being supportive of what you are doing. let them know what you are training for, and maybe they'll cut you a break and give you a long lunch.

I too am soooo jealous of folks with flexible work sched's!!!

shower?? meh! most of the time I'm too tired to shower after a long hard w/o.

glad Adrian is being understanding of how much of a time sacrifice this is.

you're doing awesome, keep it up.

kirsten said...

I'm with Maggie - talk to your boss and see if there isn't someway you can get a little flex time to get workouts in. My boss lets me leave early when I feel I need extra sleep or time to run (and it's on work's time so I don't waste vacation hrs).
You can do this...I know you can.
Have Adrian what you on the bike. Maybe there is soemthing you could do to make yourself more effcient.