Monday, February 9, 2009

Saturday, Feb 7, 2009 - Adrian's 12 Hour MTB race

What a day!! Adrian has been looking forward to this race for quite some time. My love is running and his is mountain bike racing.

We got to Warda around 4:30, set up the motorhome and took the boys for a walk. We randomly talked about the race, figured out our plan for nutrition, and made some final tweaks in his plan. Last year, when he competed in the 24 hour race, I'm not going to lie, my "support" wasn't very good. I took naps, checked in here and there and depended on him coming to the motorhome and telling me what he wanted. This time around I wanted to make sure I was REAL support and wanted to be there every step of the way. I think he can describe his race better so I'm posting his race report below in red.

Warda 12 Hour MTB Race
2/9/09

Distance: 8 mile loop/12 hours
Time: 11:59
Laps: 17 (135 Miles)
Finish: 1st Solo Male Sport Category
Temp: Mid 70’s, overcast
Wind: 22-28 mph.


This is the fifth time I have done this race so I was more mentally prepared this time around. The first change in game plan this year was to sprint the La Mons start run to the bike as opposed to jog. This paid off big later in the day in that I was well into my 2nd lap while several other Solo racers were mid way through their first, also I was able to more easily get into my groove and desired pace by avoiding slower traffic congestion. Second change in plan was to simply take hand ups from support for the first 6 hours and just not get off the bike. This was my Gf’s idea.

I need to interject now that there is absolutely no way that I would have done so well let alone win my division w/out my GF’s support. Priscilla (my GF) got little to no rest the whole day. The first 6 hours we were pushing our lap times pretty strong (all well under 40 min.) She would meet me at the top of a long easy climb w/ new bottle, Gu, gum, what ever. I never had to stop, she would just run along side me and give me what I needed or just shove what I needed in my mouth. She would show up at other locations on the course as well. Oh yea, she made me feel like a “Rock Star”! I can’t emphasize the importance of competent support in an event like this. Mixing bottles just right, changing flavors, adjusting ratios of protein/carbs/etc., keeping track of were you are in the race and then figuring out who your competition is and then were they are in a race is Not easy. Eventually she got so dialed in that she had our position down to how many minutes up we were on the Sport field and how far behind the Expert field we were, but I am getting ahead of my self. Point is she was outstanding, could not have done it w/out her.

So we pushed pretty hard the first 3 hours. I wanted to kinda feel the field out and see where we stood. I know it may seem early and not a good game plan, but I was comfortable with my fitness level. What I was not happy w/ was the 20 something guy from Volkswagen w/ the same game plan for the day, (Winning). I think we were w/ in minutes of each other for atleast 4 laps during the middle hours. At one point we had identical laps and time. But this was good I wanted to push or be pushed for the entire race.

After 8 ½ hours we were slowly but surely putting some time on the primary competition. 10 hours in we had locked in the win for Solo Sport Male. This is/was monumental for me. I have wanted this win for some time now, but no time to savor the glory. Priscilla seamlessly shifted my focus from “Wholy Crap Honey, I am really gonna win this!” to “Yea, good job….you are about 12 minutes behind the Expert Solo male w/ the same lap count”. Yes, this constitutes Stellar Support. Now I am not so naïve and realize that I am not competing w/ this person nor does he even care or even know my time or lap count. He is in the coveted category of Expert Racer. However, the race goal Priscilla and I had set had been met and we still had around 2 hours left. Priscilla was right, time to train. Train the mind any way. If I had been racing Expert class (which I will from this point forward) I would need to make up that 12 minutes and finish the race with equal laps in a faster time or log one more lap for a win in Expert Class. This gave my mind now something to focus on and not the aches and pains.

I would like to say that I knuckled down and ripped out a couple of fast laps, not so much, but for the first time ever in a race I started to take control my mind and that allowed me to control my race. Instead of thinking about aches and pains and fretting about having to do that climb one more time I took control of my mind and the ill effects of unsupportive random thoughts. I am not saying I went to my happy place I am just saying that for me this was the first time I truly had control of my mind and thoughts and my focus had never been more spot on or clear. I have heard of marathon’ers and iron man practicing this (in no specific way) and I would like to think that I have maybe entered into a new level of race/training. “Control the mind control the race”

Last lap, I stood on the pedals most of the way riding in an interval type fashion pedaling big gears. Pedal, pedal, pedal…….coast, repeat. During a long, flat, open field section of the course just before the last big climb I came up on four other riders staggered out over 50 yards or so. Creeping by each of them I noticed they all latched on one at a time, we had created a small pace line if you will. All of us feeding off one another’s withering energy. The chatter behind me was uplifting….”Thank god this is the last lap”, “I am so freakin tired”, “I am never doing this again” I heard. Then I heard, “Hey Cannondale guy, (I ride a Cannondale) are you that Solo guy with like 17 Laps?” Sure he could have been talking about the Expert winner, but I was on my 17th lap so I quietly answered “Yes”. A few of them started in with their own ooo’s and ahhhs. That was awesome and more than gratifying. Admiration and support from other racers is priceless (fuel for the brain). I made the last big climb one the bike w/ one other guy on my wheel, we both relished in that last feet and congratulated one another for the next three minutes. On the last short climb just 3 minutes from the finish I passed what I later found out was the Expert Class winner. I crossed the line with a minute to spare at 11:59.

Again, this was a monumental day for me in so many ways. I truly took so much from this race that will benefit for races to come.


Nutrition Consumption:

Fluid Total: 2 gallons water, 1 gallon Gatorade G
14 Scoops of Perpetuam
14 Scoops Power Bar Endurance blend
17 Salt Tabs
1 ½ power bar
8 goo’s (I think)
½ PBJ sandwich
1 ½ bags of gummy coke bottles

Calories Burned: 8325 (so says Garmin)

Baboon Butt…..Priceless!


Supporting him was a TON of fun, and it was hard work. We originally had planned on me meeting him just once every lap, but after the first one, I noticed there were two other spots I could see him across the field. He would start his lap and 15-20 minutes later I would see him on a long gradual uphill. This is where I did most of the handups to him. 15 minutes later, he would be on the other side of the field. This is where if he needed anything, I had 5 minutes to run to the motorhome and get it to him at the next spot. And then the last spot was 5 minutes later and then repeat. I quickly realized that I was not going to get to lounge around like I had in the past. Making sure the dogs got out to roam around could only be done in the 20 minute break, and I made them run with me several times to make sure we didn't miss Adrian at any of the stops.

I learned alot about support and from Adrian. He's stubborn and after 6 hours of riding and his continuous denial of having any real food, I learned that just bringing him options was the key. If it were in front of him, he would more than likely take it!! The race was awesome, and I cheered for everyone. All sizes were out there. I respected all the women that did the race. Some looked strong, and others reminded me of myself on the bike. Very slow, but having fun and just getting through it, one lap at a time.

Adrian worked hard for this and he deserved every minute of it. I'm soooo uber proud of him. Who knew that years ago when he got trampled by a horse and had bones sticking out of his knee and was bound to a wheelchair for over 6 months that he had this kind of greatness just waiting to seep out?? He's my motivation to become a better athlete. I love him dearly and can't wait to be there for more wins :) Next stop, to win in the Expert category. Way to go, honey. I'm proud to be your girlfriend and I truly appreciate being part of your wonderful moment.

1 comment:

kirsten said...

As I started reading this I'm like - WTF is he doing in Sport!! Glad to see he is moving up the Expert! Congrats to you and Adrian - sounds like an awesome weekend. I am secretly planning some trail running sessions at Warda - one of my fav places from my MTB days!!