Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Office Hours

I went to Sisson's office hours and got a good earful. I learned that I have a long road ahead of me in order to get to where I want to be with my running. After California, I'm planning on doing the training for the Ironman in Couer d'Alene. I've been going back and forth in the last few weeks about if I really wanted to do this. I'm finally becoming the runner I never thought I could be, and seeing this improvement has been a mental mess when it comes to triathlons. I don't want to miss out on Team Rogue Boston.

Dee told me to make a pro's and con's list last night. I made one this morning and it helped. In order to get my running to where I want it, 6 months of training and putting in the time to the Ironman will be one of my steps. I need to lose 10-15 pounds, and this will do it. I need to quit failing with my eating habits and truly commit to Meredith and making the right food choices. I desperately need to get some major hours in the saddle if I'm going to attempt to do 112 miles. In a running perspective, I can't run a mile without walking and I'm attempting a marathon. I hate the bike, and I have 6 months to learn to love it.

Sisson told me some other pyschological things I need to work on, but they are going to take time. I'm 31, and just now realizing I haven't found me yet. Hard, hard work ahead, but I'm up for it!!!

Ironman, here I come, then Boston here I come, then 3:30, 3:20, 3:15... Sisson said I could get as fast as 3:00 if I put in the hard work. Seems impossible now, but never in a million years (2004 when I ran 4:57) did I ever think running a 3:56 would have been something I know I can crush. Speed is relative to the time and effort put into the training.

I can do this!

4 comments:

Amy said...

I think my experiences have made a case for becoming a faster runner while training for an Ironman.. they don't have to be mutually exclusive.

StephW said...

You can do it!! You are a very stong woman and have a good head on your shoulders.

Dee said...

FOOL...you are going to have an awesome 2009 training year.

Anonymous said...

you will be just even more amazing next year...super freakin fast! cant wait to hear how much you kick your poor old PR's booty at CIM. happy thanksgiving!