Wednesday, December 31, 2008

171 days to go...

Is it too early to start counting down?? I went to my first spin class last night and was very pleased to see Erin and Dionn. It was nice seeing familiar faces. Clarence, who I've trained with in Rogue, Charles (I think) who I've seen running with Rogue, and a new friend Carrie.

In short, the class was, I hate to admit this, FUN. The 30 minute core class was tough, but I expected that. I have no core right now, so I knew doing any exercise would be tough. I had to do the pushups in female girly fashion, I couldn't make it through the 3 sets of 30 second planks or the second set of 30 second planks on the ball. I could only do one or two (total, not reps) of some of the exercises, but I pretended to move as everyone else did. This will take time to build up to be able to complete everything like everyone else. Erin and Dionn tried to talk me into coming in the morning for an hour core class before this one started, and two minutes into it, I told them I wouldn't be coming :) Baby steps...

The spin class started and Maurice was nice enough to help me put my bike on the trainer and tell me how it all worked. Chrissie was the coach, and she was very detailed in what we were doing which I loved. She explained exactly what gear to be in, when to switch, what cadence we should be in, and did countdowns for us so we could tell what our cadence actually was. I was doing great and my confidence was high. My cadence was either right on or slightly higher and I thought I was flying :) Until... the one legged stuff. I thought it would be easy, but the moment I unclipped one leg, the other leg seemed to fail. My circular motion was all rickety and it seemed to be using muscles that running doesn't use. My hip was burning and my thigh felt like it was going to fall off. I kept it in my easy gear as the rest of the class geared harder and I stopped ALOT. Very tough. Chrissie said this was a good exercise because it shows which motion you need to work on that way each leg is working to its full strength without having to rely on the other. I've got some work to do.

We went back to both legs and did hills and I did a good job. I kept my cadence where it was supposed to be on all of the sets except maybe 2, but I wasn't that far off. All in all, the time went by fast and I enjoyed my first spin class :)

Only gripes so far is that it seems that most of the T3 folk are pretty dog goned serious. Noone talks, noone is cracking jokes and I'm not used to that. I talked a few times during the core, or moaned actually to no avail. I tried again during the spin. Chrissie said, "Three more minutes and we're done." and I was the only one that yelled out, "Thank God!!" I only got a smile from Chrissie. I'm sure I'll be the loud mouth retard, but I've got to liven things up. I'm used to Rogue and I'm used to the useless fun banter, this is going to take some getting used to.

I did make a new friend, Carrie. And another guy named Robert. I need to make some more :)

Thanks to Erin and Dionn for making me feel welcome and making my first class not as awkward... Now, I'm going to play on their forum and make my first post.

3 comments:

erin said...

yay priscilla! you looked great. :) welcome to t3!!

kirsten said...

That's a pretty impressive start to your IM training! You'll get them loosened up in no time.

Dionn said...

Priscilla! You did great!! I would banter except I never seem to have enough energy or breathe to even speak while I try to keep up!