Monday, December 15, 2008

First Run Back - Yeouch!!

When: Saturday, Dec 13 - 6 days after marathon
Time: 8:30am
Where: Dr. Z's office on Anderson Lane
People: Dee and I
Comments: Wow... the entire season I have had on and off again tweaks with both of my calves and my right hip. Saturday morning, my right hamstring was super sore. I felt this directly after the marathon, the day after the marathon and so on. I just chalked it up to the marathon. I'm always sore, and I'm always that runner that is gimping around for a few days after the marathon. This time it was my fault. I got lazy and with all the commotion of having my running bud in the medical tent, by the time we got back to the hotel, I was just too cold to withstand an ice bath. I didn't do recovery either, big no no.

Anyways, we started off and my legs felt heavy, but towards the middle, I was toast. I felt wiped out, heavy legs, no energy, and my heart was racing and my breathing was erratic. Dee seemed to be feeling much better and I tried to run faster for her sake, but the wheels just weren't moving. We ran over to NW Park and saw Kristen and Sisson running. I made a mental note... she's 4 weeks out from her SA marathon, so worst case, it should take 4 weeks to get the feeling back. Half way through my right hamstring actually hurt so I stopped to stretch and slow things down. It irritated me the rest of the run.

We ended up with 6.5 miles, not too bad, and we were only out there an hour, hour and a half, so our pace wasn't toooo incredibly slow, but it was slow.

1 comment:

kristenbaucher said...

in case you're curious about my attempt at getting back in to things:
week 1: 5 miles
week 2: 10 miles (jamaica)
week 3: 38
week 4: 56
i'm felt about 100% recovered by the middle of week 3. good luck!