Friday, October 31, 2008

Baby Burn

Time: 6:00pm
Location: Eastside Track
People: Dee, Clemmie, Dave, Mandy, and Ruth
Weather: Cool, but definitely not cold
Workout: 1 mile MGP, 400 at 10k, 1 mile MGP
Comments: Since I've been feeling a little defeated the past week, Ruth adjusted my workout and boy, it made a huge difference. On the warm up to the track, I was having my same issues and all my mind could do was race all the what if's, should've's, and mantras. I stayed close, but was behind Dee and Clemmie as we took off to the track. Calves felt tight (my fault for not rolling), legs felt heavy... again. I kept telling myself it's mental, its mental, snap out, but kept in mind that normally it takes me 3-4 miles to warm up anyways so I needed to not look into how I was feeling yet and be over dramatic.

We get to the track and everyone is figuring out paces, when to flip around, etc. I was a little envious at Dee and Clemmie for doing the actual Burn workout, but I was relieved at the same time that Ruth had other plans for me. They took off, and I let them get about 50 meters ahead before I started. 1 mile MGP felt pushed, but thankfully I hit it, right on the dot. 8:47, PERFECT! My breathing was a little labored and I started thinking negatively, that my MGP shouldn't feel like this, and blah blah blah. Then I decided to just quit it. If this was mental, I need to fill my head with positive thoughts and so I started. The 400 meters at 10k directly proceeded the MGP, and I picked it up. It felt ok, and once I hit the 100 meter mark, I realized I was a second or two slow, but wow, I was running a sub 8:00 mile. No way in hell I could have done this on Wednesday when trying to run 10:44 was a struggle, so the positive thoughts started. I kept repeating, as corny as it sounds, "I can do this, I can do this!" Seeing Dee and Clemmie on the track helped. They reversed every 4 laps, so I was running towards them and their positive energy was felt every time I passed. I thought to myself, "They're doing it, I can do it." 1 mile back to MGP felt much better. It took me 200 meters to dial back into the rhythm, but I felt like I was back in my groove. 2nd mile at MGP was 8:41, 6 seconds too fast. Halle-freaking-liehja!!! I stopped, reported to Ruth and asked if I should repeat... and she told me no. "Really?? I feel better, I think I can do that again..." Ruth said, "Nope, you're done." "Alrighty then... I did it." It was a little wierd being done so early before everyone else, I'm soooo used to be the last one, especially on track workouts. So I hung out with Ruth while Dee and Clemmie finished.

They did AWESOME!! So inspiring to see friends do well. They completed 8 miles of the actual Burn workout, and would have done the full 10, but Dee had to get back for a call. I'm so proud of them. It's amazing how much I feed off other people's success, I hope this is a good thing. When Clemmie and Dee do well, it makes me happy and I want to be right there with them :)

Good job, guys! I heard all the southies rocked it. I'm looking forward to Saturday's run, no longer scared. I started taking my Iron pills, sleep will no longer be an issue (gonna make sure I let my body rest) and I've got the mental demons slayed. This is my race and I've worked too hard to become a whining baby. I've got this!!

4 comments:

Dee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dee said...

You're dog-gone straight you've got this. Stomp those demons in the ground to the tune of Thriller by MJ.

Anonymous said...

Thats awesome! Good to hear you were able to beat the "mental block". Don't let those demons play mind tricks with you anymore...Just tell them to move out the way because you are kick ass! :-)

Anonymous said...

Yay Priscilla! I'm glad you had a good work-out to remind you of how awesome your running is going. I never doubt that you'll do amazing at CIM! - Leslie