Saturday, January 10, 2009

My first long group ride...

I got a call last night from Sabrina saying she was going to ride with us, yeah!! I called Amber to invite her so we could all ride together and do a little catching up. Long story short, Sabrina couldn't go, so I met Amber and we got to the school in time to ride. We missed the Memorial ride for Erin :( The ride started out, and almost immediately Amber and I were dropped from the "17 mph and under".

I'm not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed in the T3 rides. I thought there would be a little more "group" to it, but unfortunately, if you're slow, you ride alone. I'm grateful that I invited Amber so I had someone to ride with. I heard from a few fellow T3'ers that the "slow" people are really fast. Oh well, I guess I just need to chalk it up and get better and stronger. I thought I would learn some gearing techniques or learn what my cadence should be during the wind, up hills, downhills, etc... but nope.

The ride was good on the way out, obviously, got to catch up with Amber and I thought we kept a decent speed, but the minute we turned around, we were going downhill, pedaling, and my Garmin showed 7.5mph. Wow. Hard stuff.

I'm glad that I didn't turn around in Buda, I'm proud to say I rode the whole 40. It took me 3:37, and my legs were trashed, but I did it :)

I can't wait till tomorrow... I get to run and run far :) Yay, running!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How are the legs feeling today? You are off to a great start...just think how many people skipped that ride due to the damned wind.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'm hoping that the T3 rides do continue to get a little more organized, but it was definitely a larger group than usual...and the first one of the year. You'll eventually fall into a core group of people you are comfortable riding with, so don't worry too much. I do agree though that some people treat those training rides as a "race!"

Way to hang tough!!

etg said...

Priscilla,
For what it's worth, I felt totally lost on my first T3 ride last summer. But I settled into a group that I can ride with...or ride close behind as the case may be (and often is!)...and it no longer feels intimidating to show up on a Saturday morning. Hang in there! And way to stick with the ride!
- Elizabeth