Sunday, September 7, 2008

47.5 of "hmm... this isn't so bad!"

Thanks Lori!!


If anyone knows me, they know I HATE the bike. That's HATE with a capital H-A-T-E. Mostly because I suck at it. I'm slow and it always hurts. My quads seem to be on fire almost 90% of every ride I've ever done.

A couple weeks ago, I took my bike in to Jack and Adams to get re-fitted and tuned up. I bought my bike from them back in 2005 and haven't had any work done on it. I've lost some weight from when I bought it, and I figured this would be my last hope. Jack re-fitted me and ended up moving my seat up a full inch and then some. I bought new pedals and then Jack also told me that I needed to keep my feet flat rather than pointed. I was actually excited to see if this advice and the work he did on my bike would help.

So this morning, we left with the Texas Iron folks. Thanks Amy and Nemo for the invite!! They were doing the Longhorn 56 mile route, but I had already mentally blocked that number from my head. Dee, Sabrina, Linda, Amber, and I were planning to just ride to the first water stop and turn around, giving us around 30 miles, good enough for me! Dee and Linda had to turn around early to prevent some possible injuries, and I unwillingly stayed with Lori and Amber. I had a brief lapse in judgement and told them I could "attempt" to gut out the 56 miles, but it was going to be slow.

We took off and what the heck?? I was fine. I was keeping up with them, and yes Lori was having to take it easy to hang back, but every time I looked at my computer it showed 15+!!! What the heck?? My quads weren't burning and I was doing just fine. After about 3 hours of riding I realized I had only taken in a Gu, and was on the verge of bonking. I ate everything I had on me, which included another Gu, Sport Beans, Rice Krispy treat, and almost an entire bottle of water. It helped some, but I was just tired. I had run 20 the day before.

We cut the course short, thank God! Thank you Lori!! We ended up at 47.5 and I'm thrilled. I think it's going to take a ton of practice, but I have more confidence now that an Ironman might be possible.

Now let's get back to running and get to California!! Gotta stay focused :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Foho,
You were riding MUCH faster than 15 mph for most of that 2nd half. You have come a long way on the bike, girl. Good job, YOU!

P-lic

Priscilla said...

I couldn't have done it without you telling me what gear to be in :)

StephW said...

Foho, you are an aweome biker. You will kick some butt out there next year.