Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hammer Jacked Up Workout!!

Time: 6:15pm
Location: Northwest Pool
Workout Assigned: 10 miles progressive pace running, ending on miles 8 & 9 at MGP and last mile at HMGP
Workout Accomplished: Jacked up Fartlek
Weather: hot, but I must be getting used to the heat cause it didnt' seem bad at all
People: Half of Team Rogue, but ran alone for the workout.
Comments: If anyone can hammer jack up a workout, it's me. Anyone that knows me knows I'm awful with direction. Dee and I get lost on a regular basis together, but I swear it's her and not me. So the assigned workout was to add 1:45 to our MGP and progressively get faster, ending with our fastest mile at HMGP. The workout starts and I'm the retard (see other blog, I won the gold) that asks how many miles do we get to run for a warm up. Killer looks at me like the retard that I am and says if I calculated right, my miles should be slow enough that the first few miles are slow enough for a warm up.

Both of my Garmin's (I once had three) are in the possession of the US Postal Service on their way to Garmin International to be either fixed or replaced, so I'm geek-o-meter less for the workout. Killer put mile markers on her trip ticket, but not sure how accurate they were. We were to do two 5 miles loops that gives us 10 miles. Dee's out of town on work, half of the group does the morning option, so I was left with Andrea pacing for a 4:05 marathon pace and Cecilia and Ashlie pacing for a 3:40. Either too fast or too slow for my 3:50 goal, so I decided to try and stay behind Ashlie and Cecilia and gradually let them inch forward. That plan didn't work. I ended up getting caught at an intersection that they blew through and when I finally made it I found myself running too fast to catch them. Retard moment #2, I forgot Killer was going to run the loop once and was behind me. There I am on Shoal Creek cruising along gaining ground on Ash and BAM, Killer's in my face! "Click your lap, click your lap!!" I wasn't using my watch, but Killer was telling me to time my split because according her Garmin I was coming up on mile 3. I got about a 30 second butt chewing for not knowing my paces and running too close to people that were too fast. So I pulled back and she took off. I caught Ash (shhh..) but figured the last 5 miles were the important ones. As we approached the end, I thought I held back enough to make it look like I was behind them, but Killer knew I was too close and gave me a good lecture about not running too fast or else I'll peak too early and my dream marathon will be down the drain. So I understand.. and I want to PR, so I'm going to listen.

2nd 5 mile loop, I wrote out my mile splits on the trip tickets.. but this is retard moment #3 where I hammer jacked up the workout. Here are my splits according to my watch and where the supposed mile splits were.

Mile 6) should have been a 9:17 I ran a 9:19 (almost perfect!)
Mile 7) should have been a 9:02 I ran a 8:28 (crap, WAY too fast, that's my HMGP!)
Mile 8) should have been a 8:47 I ran a 10:01 (I'm hoping the marker was wrong and I just hit it wrong, cause I know damn well I wasn't running a 10 min mile pace!!)
Mile 9) should have been another 8:47 I ran a 7:39 (now I this was wrong, I've never run that fast before! I completely hammer jacked up that mile!!)
Mile 10) should have been 8:20 I ran a 9:16, I slowed down too much.

So instead of doing a progressive pace, Killer said I created a Fartlek... oops, my bad. I felt awesome tonight, but I do need to learn to run paces with better feel instead of relying on the Garmin. With my luck with Garmin's, if it's broken on marathon day I should and need to be able to know what my different paces FEEL like.

It's 10:30 and I'm wide awake with posting ideas stirring in my head... more to come :)

No comments: