Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why do I run??

So, after reading Sisson's blog a few days ago, it's been bugging me that I don't have an answer to that question. There's the stereotypical answers like, I do it to eat what I want, I do it to be healthy, blah blah blah. But I have clicked on the Post a Comment section in Sisson's blog a couple of times, but couldn't find the right answer to stick in there. It came to me tonight.

I worked late, and made it to my poker game. I was out in an hour, which sucked, but that's poker. I came home to a nice surprise. I had my Garmin's!! Both of them!! So I headed out to do my 3 miles or 30 minutes of running and I came up with these reasons for why I run. Beward, some are sentimental, deep, and rather personal.

1.) For those "Ah ha" Oprah moments. These are the moments when you think you've got it all figured out and then you have a meeting with a coach and you're sitting there in awe because you just figured out something new about running and how it makes it you. This was my one-on-one with Sisson about a month or two ago when things seemed to click after hearing him talk. I found out I was a "baby" runner after thinking after just 5 marathons that I knew what I was doing and knew what I had to do. I run for these moments.

2.) To be on a team or accepted in a group. I never finished college, and when I went I was never a part of anything. In high school, I was in band and really loved it and as an adult, I've never been part of anything until running came into my life. I know I look for acceptance, and this is part of where I get that belonging feeling achieved from. I run to be part of a group and accepted as a member.

3.) I run because I can, for inspirational moments. I started running with a purpose that a friend shared, Team Justin. He died of ALS last year and I run because he's the one that got me running. 4 years ago at a free Runtex class I met a girl that told me I needed to run for a cause.. and in that year I ran my first marathon. There are so many people that can't, so I run because I can.

4.) I run because I need something to be proud of. Something that's not tangible, something you can't see, but only feel. I run to be proud of myself for doing it and being able to.

5.) I run so I can one up my co-workers, non-exercising friends, and family. Pretty selfish, but I run so I can say, "I ran this morning."

6.) I run for those rare moments when the moon and sun aligns and everything feels right. Tonight was one of them. I had my new Garmin, I ran shirtless (despite my chubbiness jiggling all over the place), the weather was beyond perfect, the calves cooperated, the pace felt like sub 6:00's in my mind, and everything was blissful. These moments don't happen often, but when they do, they remind me just how much I love it and how much I enjoy it. It can be on an easy run or a workout, but it's when everything lines up, paces are hit, you feel good, and there's nowhere else you'd rather be than hitting your feet to the ground.

7.) My humorous running reason: Cause I'm single with nothing else to do, hahahaha!! I can't seem to find my Mr. Right.. so until then, I run :)

2 comments:

Julia said...

Great answers Priscilla! Run on!

erin said...

Nice!! :)