Monday, September 8, 2008

Off Day, but with results!

Today's an OFF day from running, but I have done leaps and bounds in other areas. My hip, heel, back, and calves were bothering me from this weekends long run. It was a bunch of small things that I've been neglecting, but the heel pain freaked me out and I decided it was time to go see the doctor.

I switched to the ART office down off of Westgate, since it's closer to the office. Dr. Fluitt, whew, he's a cutie. All the doctor's seem to be quite handsome :) He worked on my calves and had me in sheer pain and a full body sweat within seconds. I found out my heel pain was from the tight calves, but from the top of my calf. He barely touched just below the back of my knee and "YEOOUUCH!!" It always amazes me how you say, "my heel hurts" then they touch some other random part of your body and find the trigger point. He worked on my calves for a good bit, then moved to my hip. My hip is from having a tight butt, so he called his asst over, and "YEOUCH!!" He lowered the table, pressed deep into my ass, and the asst moved my leg up, ouch... and then down DOUBLE ouch. Then he went to my back and found my pelvis was overrotated or turned or something, which was causing my back to have spasms... so he adjusted, pressed, and put me on the E-stem machine, where I drifted off. I love that machine.

I learned that I need to make rolling a necessity. As much as I get stuck at work and barely make it to the workouts on time, I need to make it a top priority to wake up 30 minutes earlier on Saturday mornings (4am, really??) to roll and leave work right at 5pm, no matter what so I can have plenty of time to roll my ENTIRE calf.

Second big thing I got accomplished is that I sent Meredith the dreaded email that I've been postponing for weeks. I asked to set up my first appointment with her and was brutally honest about the 8-10 times I eat out during the week. Looking forward to having to pay someone to tell me to eat better, not sure why I don't have enough self control to eat better. I've gotten away with it with all the miles, but I know I can be a better, faster, and more efficient runner if I learn how to fuel my body with the right foods.

Looking forward to the hill workout tomorrow, only 7 miles :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dr. Fluitt was the nice specimen that referred me to my pod. Oh how I wish I could get an injury that would send me back to Fluitt...okay, maybe not :-)